‘Sid & Nancy’ Restored For New Criterion Collection Release
The 1986 cult classic film Sid & Nancy has been restored for a new Criterion Collection Blu-ray/two-DVD release which is available today.
With the lacerating love story Sid & Nancy, Alex Cox reimagines the crash-and-burn affair between punk s most notorious self-destructive poster children: Sex Pistols bassist Sid Vicious and his girlfriend, Nancy Spungen brought to visceral life by brilliant performances from Gary Oldman and Chloe Webb. Cox turns his anarchic filmmaking style on the explosive energy of the London punk scene and the degenerate streets of seventies New York, making for an eviscerating depiction of excess and addiction. Through the lens of cinematographer Roger Deakins, the imagery goes from swooning to grimy, and the film s bleakness is balanced with surreal humor and genuine tenderness, making for an affecting, music-fueled vision of doomed love.
The director-approved Blu-Ray special edition features include:
– New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed stereo soundtrack
– Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio
– Two audio commentaries: one from 1994 featuring cowriter Abbe Wool, actors Gary Oldman and Chloe Webb, cultural historian Greil Marcus, filmmakers Julien Temple and Lech Kowalski, and musician Eliot Kidd; the other from 2001 featuring cowriter-director Alex Cox and actor Andrew Schofield
– England s Glory, a 1987 documentary on the making of Sid & Nancy
– Infamous 1976 Bill Grundy interview with the Sex Pistols on British television
– Rare telephone interview from 1978 with Sid Vicious
– Interviews with Vicious and Nancy Spungen from the 1980 documentary D.O.A.: A Right of Passage
– Archival interviews and footage
– PLUS: An essay by author Jon Savage and a 1986 piece compiled by Cox about Vicious, Spungen, and the making of the film